Ali Minogue's Web 2.0 course reflections

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

Module 6

May19

The group of students I have is at present attempting to make text to self connections prior to reading. Even when having prompts that lead them to think deeply about the title and skim the text prior to reading, I consistently see them gravitate to the illustrations to make their connections. This reminds me of the power of visual literacy.

I am reminded of another example of the power of imagery when last week reading to my students Shel Silverstein’s, ‘The Giving Tree’. While the book was to be used as a springboard for inference (and worked as such magnificently) it was its illustrations that most powerfully enabled the students to infer.

Students can engage their imaginations from both the written word which was selected with great sensitivity or through the illustrations which also generate ideas and thought. In fact for many students it is the illustration that seemed to have really charged their imaginations and power to connect.

I am delighted to have learned about Picasa in Module 6 and hope to use the program to enable students to express their interpretations through a visual medium.

by posted under Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    

“Module 6”

1. May 20th, 2013 at 8:06 am      Reply Mrs. Hirst Says:

I love your thoughts and the wonderfully imaginative way you relate to your students.

2. May 20th, 2013 at 10:07 am      Reply aliminogue Says:

Thank you so much for the very kind comment, Kerri.