Ali Minogue's Web 2.0 course reflections

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

Final Course Reflection

July28

Children grow into the intellectual life around them’.

(Vygotsky, 1978)

eLearning with the iLE@RN Model

The information rich world in which our students live is astounding. Of course with this comes the need to guide students’ learning journeys and approach to the online world. The iLE@RN Model therefore is highly pertinent.

I strongly agree that it is essential for students to understand that, as stated in the module notes, the use of Web 2 tools is not about disseminating topic content, but rather about creating new understandings through the consideration of existing understandings. While this is the kind of thinking we teach our students to engage in inside the classroom, the importance of extending this to the online world is paramount.

I often wonder if the removal of walls and geographic boundaries in turn removes restrictions students so often impose on themselves in regards to an unwillingness to take risks in their thinking and learning. With greater freedom to collaborate and express their understandings, will students be more willing to engage in the use of higher-order cognitive skills?

Bloom’s Revised Digital Taxonomy

In simple terms, the revised taxonomy had two distinctions. First it includes ‘creating’ as the highest of all thinking types (creating is not explicitly a part of the original Bloom’s Taxonomy). ‘Creating’ is invaluable to have as a prompt when I do my planning as it reminds me to include it in my statements of learning intentions.

The other difference is that in the revised version the words are verbs all ending in ‘ing’. This puts an emphasis on the doing or the thinking itself. While it might appear a small change it creates profound consequences for my teaching.

Final thoughts

Integrating Web 2.0 tools into teaching and learning strongly reinforces my goals and enhances my teaching methods. Web 2.0 tools encourage students to be curious and responsible risk takers as well as develop other dispositions that underpin deep thinking and life-long learning. It promotes both differentiation as well as collaboration. In a school such as ours which has open planning and where five classes share the same very large learning space, Web 2.0 tools can be readily integrated and supports and enhances the school’s learning goals.

by posted under Uncategorized | 3 Comments »    

“Final Course Reflection”

1. August 25th, 2013 at 6:19 am      Reply Helen Anania Says:

Hi Ali
    Your blog is an inspiration to me. I have just started the Web 2 course and really enjoyed reading your reflections.